Fred N. Johnston 's Family and Friends
The Fred N. Johnston Scholarship was established in 2003 by the family of Dr. Johnston, but the Fred Johnston Graduate Fund existed long before this. Dr. Johnston moved to Superior in 1956 to become the Director of the Graduate Division at Superior State University (known today as University of Wisconsin-Superior), and later served as Dean of the Graduate School until 1969.
Before coming to Superior, Johnston taught at Illinois Wesleyan University in Bloomington, Illinois. He spent many years in public education in southern Illinois; Clinton, Iowa and Beloit, Wisconsin, where he was high school principal and superintendent of schools. Johnston was active in the former Hammond Avenue Presbyterian Church in Superior. He was an avid outdoors-man and enjoyed hunting, fishing, and spending time at the family cabin near Cumberland, Wisconsin.