The Russell Family and Friends
The Mr. & Mrs. Raymond E. Russell Scholarship was established by Mr. and Mrs. Russell and had many contributions from family and friends.
Mr. Raymond E. Russell attended Superior Normal School (now UW-Superior) and graduated from UW-Madison. He was active in the dairy industry, becoming president of the Russell Creamery of Superior in 1953. He also served as President of the Duluth-Superior Dairy Council and as a Director of the Northwest Association of Ice Cream Manufacturers. Mr. Russell’s priority was the economic development of Superior, and he served on the Board of Directors of the Superior Association of Commerce, serving as its president from 1957 to 1958.
He and another Association volunteer officer wrote the by-laws to form a new organization called the Superior Douglas County Development Association. He was a charter member of the group of 20 individuals that established the UW-Superior Foundation. He served on its Board of Directors, was an officer, a member of the executive committee, and served a term as its president. Mr. Russell was also one of the original groups that funded the “Lake Superior Refinery”, which became Murphy Oil and is currently owned by Husky Energy. He served as coordinator of the Superior Douglas County Civilian Defense during World War II, served nine years as Director of Catholic Charities, and has an extensive list of awards received for volunteer work.